We are proud to be part of the first Publishing Hackathon! The organizers of the Publishing Hackathon are inviting designers, engineers, programmers, an entrepreneurs to spend 36 hours together in teams to developer a new approach to digital book discovery.
The Publishing Hackathon will take place on May 18th and 19th at The Alley NYC, the leading digital co-working space in New York. The participants will be briefed by a cross-section of book publishing leaders, and then will form teams to create apps, websites, programming or businesses that can address the issue of book discovery in this rapidly evolving landscape. At the end of the weekend, a team of judges from publishing, technology, media and venture capital will identify the 3 to 5 most promising finalists from dozens of teams participating.
To help out developers in the Publishing Discovery hackathon, here are some APIs that could complement in solving the book discoverability problem:
- Faroo Web Search – If you need an easy to use alternative to Google Web Search API (depreciated), Yahoo Boss (commercial) or Bing Web Search API
- Mimvi App Search – Mimvi App Search provides mobile app search, discovery and recommendation services. Based on proprietary biomimetic algorithms, Mimvi App Search delivers the best coverage and most relevant mobile apps, mobile content and mobile products. Coverage includes: iTunes, Google Play (Android), Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone 8, Facebook, Blackberry, Web Apps.
Text Processing/Word Disambiguation:
- Repustate Sentiment and Social Media Analytics – a sentiment analysis API that has “Nouns” and “Verbs” endpoints.
- Spellcheck – fix spelling mistakes with this API.
- SpringSense Meaning Recognition – The fastest and most accurate Meaning Recognition (Word Sense Disambiguation) API in the world. Recognises any nouns in a body of text and allows you to provide a rich user-interface with meaning definitions
- OCR recognition service – Ocrapiservice.com is an cloud based optical recognition engine. We take images as input and we reply with text as output. (e.g. find text in surroundings and search relevant content)
- SwissKnifeDocs – convert your documents into other document formats.
- ConvertAPI – Several endpoints to convert content to PDF
- Text2HTML – Converts text to HTML
- Stremor Automated Summary and Abstract Generator – Use the Automated Summaries API to generate instant 350 character (+/- 10%) summaries of long content from text or URLs. (Like Summly!)
- ML Analyzer – has a bunch of text processing endpoints, including an Article Summarizer.
- Translation Cloud – Simple to use API to get machine and human translation in over 50 languages. Powered by Translation Cloud’s network of 15,000 linguists.
- Translation Memory – MyMemory is the world’s largest Translation Memory. It contains billions of words translated by professional translators. MyMemory will give you a machine translation (Google, Microsoft or our) only when a human translation is not available.
- Apps Builder – AppsBuilder is a do it yourself platform for mobile applications development. No coding skills are needed! Trough a single building process users can create an app for iOS (iPad, iPhone/iPod), Android (Tablets & Phones) and Windows Phone.
- MovixIt Mobile Apps – It enables you to create on the fly mobile applications that run on Android and Iphone.
- Feed.nu – an api that generates an android application out from a RSS feed. Enter your own strings, colors, images and settings and then generate your own custom android application.
- Text-to-speech – Instantly generates high quality speech from text.
- Voice Text-to-Speech – allows conversion of textual content to speech
- Text to Speech – A really simple api that lets you convert text to speech. It’s 100% free for unlimited usage.
Cross-vertical (e.g. find related books based on favorite song/lyrics):
- Spotify Web – The Spotify Web API enables you to search and lookup metadata about artists, tracks and albums using a REST interface.
- Musixmatch – The fastest, most powerful and legal way to display lyrics on your website or in your application. Today. A complete music catalogue featuring 640k artists and 13M of tracks organized by albums. A powerful search engine including all our library is available through our api. Every artist/track/album has a score (1-100) based on our api requests, this is our rating.
- Pinterest (unofficial) – allows you to search for pins, and user-specific pins, likes, and boards.
- Imgur - hosting for the most viral images on the web.